The NRF Foundation Next Generation Scholarship is the pinnacle achievement for students interested in pursuing careers in retail. This opportunity was created for students of various academic backgrounds who have demonstrated leadership skills, previous retail experience and a passion for making an impact.
This scholarship develops skills in retailing, business and critical thinking, and prepares and encourages students to launch their career in retail and earn recognition among the next generation of leaders in the industry. Since its launch, more than $800,000 in funds have been awarded through the NRF Foundation Next Generation Scholarship.
The 2022-23 Next Generation Scholarship is now closed. Stay tuned for more information about next year's competition!
The 2023 NRF Foundation Next Generation Scholarship application consists of two phases. In the first phase, applicants submitted an essay, personal brand video, one letter of recommendation, resume, headshot and school transcripts. Applications were due on May 23, 2022 at 12 p.m. ET.
Applicants were notified by June 15, 2022 if they were selected to move on to the semifinalist stage. In this phase, 25 students are required to complete a case study created in collaboration with Nordstrom and two interviews with assigned retailers by Aug. 8, 2022 at 12 p.m. ET. From there, 10 students will advance and complete quick-fire video interviews with the NRF team. The top five finalists will then be selected and notified by Sept. 15, 2022. The finalists will complete final round interviews with members of the NRF Foundation Board of Directors to determine the top recipient.
The top recipient will receive a $25,000 tuition scholarship and will serve on the NRF Foundation Board of Directors for one year. Four finalists will receive $10,000 tuition scholarships each. Learn more about the application process including submission requirements and key dates here.
We hosted two information sessions, open to all students and educators, to learn more about the 2023 competition:
- Juniors or seniors enrolled full time at a university member school at the time when the scholarship is presented in January 2023 (Note: current sophomores can apply if they will be of junior standing in January of 2023)
- Must not have previously received an award of $10,000 or more from the NRF Foundation
- Must be U.S. citizens or legal U.S. residents eligible to work in the United States
- Must have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Must have prior or current experience working in a retail job or internship. This could be anything from working as a bagger at a grocery store or a server/host at a restaurant to having a summer internship with a retailer.
- Students in any major are eligible. Possible majors include business, merchandising, supply chain, analytics, entrepreneurship, finance, accounting, retail studies, computer science, marketing, communications, etc.
For more information, review the full eligibility requirements (PDF).
"My favorite part about the experience was networking with professionals and meeting so many hardworking and intelligent peers. This experience led to so many great connections and has positively impacted my life in more ways than I can count."
- 2018 finalist Brittany Rhoa of Kent State University
"The NRF Foundation Next Generation Scholarship has impacted me in so many ways that I am grateful for. I aim to be a strong leader and set positive examples for others through my work, and I am certain that the scholarship was paramount in helping me achieve this goal — I’ve already learned so much about myself and the industry in general because of it."
- 2018 finalist Marlowe Camblin of Santa Clara University